• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State employee and owe money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwoodcox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
Can a state employee get in trouble at work if he owes money to a municipality in the same state?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

There are very few legal restrictions on what you can "get in trouble for" at work. Owing money to ANYONE is not an illegal reason for you to be disciplined or fired at work, unless you have filed for bankruptcy, and even then sometimes it is permitted.

mwoodcox

I was told there is an Indiana statute that does not allow an employee of the state to owe back taxes to another municipality within the state.

dolebot

There are very few legal restrictions on what you can "get in trouble for" at work. Owing money to ANYONE is not an illegal reason for you to be disciplined or fired at work, unless you have filed for bankruptcy, and even then sometimes it is permitted.
Exception: US Military

But then again - that really isn't a job. More of a career or a lifestyle.

dolebot

I was told there is an Indiana statute that does not allow an employee of the state to owe back taxes to another municipality within the state.
Look it up. I'm certain that IN has a website to view its statutes. Barring that a trip to the normal library should suffice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just FYI, the IN DOL website has been "under construction" for about five years, and on those rare occasions that you can access it, it has less information and is harder to get around than any state website I've ever seen.

ecmst12

Whether or not this statute exists, there is still nothing PREVENTING your employer from firing you for this reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">