• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

state keeps a % of CS payments?!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?MN

I am PRAYING that this isn't correct! I THOUGHT I was reading from the MN State website regarding child support. I found where I could download an application and just mail it in. But then I see as I read further that they keep a certain % of the CS payments for a "processing" fee. Is that right?! I thought I may have wandered into something more like hunting down a parent or something like that, but I don't think so.

Does the state or county or whatever entity handles child support generally keep a percentage of the payments??!! Do you have to file through the state/county to get child support? Or can that be taken care of with the divorce papers? Holy cow my head is spinng :confused:



Senior Member
Typically, there is a fee that is added into the support amount, so the ncp pays that. However, if you have ever had to ask CSE for help in getting the ordered CS, they do take a percentage to pay for their services.
Right now, 4% of my CS goes to the court trustee of Kansas to pay for them to take the ex to court for me etc.


Junior Member
Thanks for the reply!

If my husband and I decide on an amount ourselves, can that be written into the divorce so I don't have to actually "file" for child support? Or will I have to apply for it regardless?

Thanks :)


And some of you might be surprised to say the least how much money each state makes a year just off of that processing fee. We're talking tens of millions of dollars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential