• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State of residence and the Soldiers' and Sailors' Relief Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chapmatt

I'm an Active Duty Army officer and currently am a legal resident of the State of Georgia. My financial advisor is advising me to claim residency in the State of Florida, under the provisions of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Relief Act, to keep from paying GA income taxes, as FL has no income tax.

May I continue to have my cars registered, register to vote, and keep my "permanent legal address" in GA, while changing my "State of residence" to FL?

Thanks,
CH Matt

W

wowie

My husband is active duty USMC. I am not and attorney and not a CPA. I believe the way that it works is that wherever you have your PERMANENT residence is where your DL and your cars have to be registered and where you pay your state taxes if any. EXCEPT, you may keep one state where you are stationed(i.e. FL) as where your DL and cars are registered and your permanent residence state (i.e. GA) where you "pay" taxes. I say "pay" taxes because most of the time you can get a Non resident status in your state since you are active duty military and you will get most if not all of your paid taxes back. If you intent to go to school or have specific financial or marriage laws apply to you, I would keep your current state's residence. Also, being Army you probably will move a lot, you run the risk of changing your residence with each move. Sorry for the lengthy response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">