• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State refund check was issued in my maiden name and to an old address, is that normal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

Recently, we received our refund check from the state, but it was in my maiden name. Shouldn't it have been in my married name since that's what my name was legally changed to, even with the social security administration?

I also noticed that the state mailed it to an old address. I know this because we received the check with a mail forwarding address to where we currently are, but we filed our joint returns with our updated address. Shouldn't it have been mailed to our current address that we used to file the return?

Last edited:

zddoodah

Recently, we received our refund check from the state, but it was in my maiden name. Shouldn't it have been in my married name since that's what my name was legally changed to, even with the social security administration?
Probably.

I also noticed that the state mailed it to an old address. I know this because we received the check with a mail forwarding address to where we currently are, but we filed our joint returns with our updated address. Is this going to continue happening?
We have no conceivable way of knowing, but the likelihood will decrease if you take appropriate action to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Probably.

We have no conceivable way of knowing, but the likelihood will decrease if you take appropriate action to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I called the state and they told me that my information is correct and matches my account versus what I submitted. She noted the account, but I didn't know else could be done since I don't want this to keep happening. I'm not sure what other action there is to take. Do you have a suggestion?

davew9128

I have to say, my interaction with NY DTF is minimal, but I can't think of any instances where the name and address on a return to any jurisdiction didn't automatically update the contact information on file.
Actually one came to mind. I filed an M-1310 with my mother's final tax return to Massachusetts to claim the refund due, and they sent the check to her home address rather than to me, even though my address was all over the return as the mailing address.

I have to say, my interaction with NY DTF is minimal, but I can't think of any instances where the name and address on a return to any jurisdiction didn't automatically update the contact information on file.
Actually one came to mind. I filed an M-1310 with my mother's final tax return to Massachusetts to claim the refund due, and they sent the check to her home address rather than to me, even though my address was all over the return as the mailing address.
When I called the woman said that their information matched what my returns says. She's just not sure why they mailed it to an address not listed on our return and why they used a maiden name, though my name is no longer legally that.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York

I also noticed that the state mailed it to an old address. I know this because we received the check with a mail forwarding address to where we currently are, but we filed our joint returns with our updated address. Shouldn't it have been mailed to our current address that we used to file the return?
None of that makes any sense at all. It should have matched the name and address on the actual tax return, or it should have rejected. Something really odd had to have happened.

None of that makes any sense at all. It should have matched the name and address on the actual tax return, or it should have rejected. Something really odd had to have happened.
Yeah, when I filed our returns I know my new legal name was on the returns with our current address. The woman on the phone from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance said that information was on file and matched what I was telling her. She mentioned a different department processed and mailed the check. I can't remember which one she said. She had no idea what happened and didn't seem to know what to do. Is there a way to make sure it doesn't keep happening?

LdiJ

Yeah, when I filed our returns I know my new legal name was on the returns with our current address. The woman on the phone from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance said that information was on file and matched what I was telling her. She mentioned a different department processed and mailed the check. I can't remember which one she said. She had no idea what happened and didn't seem to know what to do. Is there a way to make sure it doesn't keep happening?
Honestly? Its so far "out there" that the odds of it ever happening again are incredibly slim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">