• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State specific Maternity Leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heatherdr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I currently am employed by a large national manufacturing company and work for the corporate office in HR. I work 2 days from our Nashville facility (which employs 120 employees) and 3 days from home. The corporate office is located in TX.

My boss is denying me 16 weeks maternity leave under the premise I am employed by the TX office and not by the TN facility.

I feel like since my physical office is in the TN facility that I should be eligible for the benefit per TN state law.

I also am aware there are some employees who have similar arrangements that have been given the ability to elect medical plans that are only avaliable to the plant near their homes they report to around 5% of the time. My boss states this is irrelevant but I believe it creates a precedence that these employees are treated as if they are employees of that facility.

Am I correct in trying to get 16 weeks leave and should I pursue it with a lawyer or am I interpretting the law incorrectly?

mlane58

You fall under the state laws where you work, period. If you are HR and I am assuming your boss is HR---he doesn't know this? very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">