• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Tax Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jterry06

State Name: GA

I recevied a notice yesterday from the state of Georgia saying I owed taxes from the tax year 1992. This is the first I have ever known of this. I have not received any other notices prior to this one and all they can say is that they sent notices. While I have moved, I have filed my state taxes every year and it seems to me that they would have the most current address as they have sent me refunds in the past. This notice states that it is a fi.fa and that they will start garnishing my wages and putting a lien against any property I may have AND they will list it as a public record and it will affect my credit. The amount is for over $1000. I am in the process of buying a house so this couldn't come at a worse time. The last thing I need is a public record from the state of GA on my credit report as I try to get approved through a mortgage company. First, what is a fi.fa? Secondly, I'm questioning whether I owe the taxes since I've always paid my state taxes and if I did owe anything it couldn't possibly be $1000 (this doesn't include the penalty). Thirdly, are they required to provide some type of documentation where I owe this amount or am I just expected to pay whatever they say (the government has been known to make mistakes). And lastly, is there a statute of limitations on collecting back taxes? Do I have any recourse? I can not possibly pay that amount in full and by the notice it seems that's the only way they want it. I'm really peeved right now as I have always abidded by all laws including federal and state tax laws. Why is it always the people who try to do right that get the bum end of the stick?

T

Taxguy

Unfortunatly, no one here can offer any insight on what is in front of you. No one here can see it. I have no idea what a "..a fi.fa.." is, nor do I suspect that the State of GA does either.

You need to correspond with the GA Dept of Revenue, or hire a local tax lawyer or CPA to unravel this. States *DO* quite often make mistakes, or overstep boundaries on collection of old items. YOU have the burden of proof however. Get some professional help,...or pay the tax;...those are your only options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">