• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

States Can Now Legalize Sports Gambling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

The US Supreme Court Opinion in Murphy, Governor of New Jersey, et al v. National Collegiate Athletic Association, et al:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/16-476_dbfi.pdf

Sports gambling can now be legalized by states, says the Supreme Court in an Opinion issued today. The Supreme Court found that the federal law prohibiting (most) states from legalizing the betting on sports was unconstitutional.

More ways to blow your paycheck (once your state allows for it)!

Last edited:

xylene

We have a lot more laws that favor one state by restricting others that need to get the axe.

xylene

What examples have you of other federal laws that would be unconstitutional under the Court’s rationale in this case?
Oh, I'm sorry, you though my griping about weak 'original intent' Federalism in general and the Trump administration was based in some well grounded or recent SCOTUS case law. My apologies for the confusion.

quincy

Oh, I'm sorry, you though my griping about weak 'original intent' Federalism in general and the Trump administration was based in some well grounded or recent SCOTUS case law. My apologies for the confusion.
Oh oh.

I HOPE this positive news out of the Supreme Court for the state of New Jersey (and perhaps for other interested states) does not become a Trump rant. Please no!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You did not express such gripes in your first reply in the thread. You did make a statement that suggests there are other federal laws that might be struck down under the rationale the court used (otherwise why post it in a thread about this decision). I merely asked you what those laws were. You’ve now evidently acknowledged you know of none. That’s all I wanted to know. I’ll not get into anti-Trump rants on this site as the purpose of it is not political debate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">