• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitations in memphis, tn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

williamsm

What is the statue of limitations in Memphis, TN for a lawyer to collect back rent? I broke my lease in 1998 and he is still trying to collect. Please advise.

L

lildevil719

just out of curiosity, when were you first contacted by this lawyer? From my understanding, "Statute of Limitations" means the amount of time you have to bring the first court action into play, and make a claim against another person. now, if he contacted you back in 1998 when you broke the lease, and you've just avoided paying until the statute is up, I would think you would still be liable for the money...otherwise, lots of people would get out of paying for things. I don't know for sure the answer to the question you asked, but I would imagine this lawyer probably contacted you within the first year after you broke the lease...your best bet is probably just to pay him and get on with your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">