• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations regarding police investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

Thank you,
But is it even possible for my friend to get in trouble if the only thing that was being used was the name and it wasn’t even his full name? Like doesn’t impersonation have to be more specific than that?
"Impersonation" isn't a crime. It depends on what the impersonator did while they were doing the impersonation if it is a crime or civilly actionable.

quincy

Thank you,
But is it even possible for my friend to get in trouble if the only thing that was being used was the name and it wasn’t even his full name? Like doesn’t impersonation have to be more specific than that?
For what reason was your friend using a similar name?

zddoodah

Can a police officer obtain a warrant or conduct an investigation for a misdemeanor that occurred six years ago and the statue of limitation has been up for four years now?
Given the abstract and hypothetical nature of the question, no one here can rule out the possibility, but it's unlikely.

Also, you asked about two different things: (1) obtaining a warrant; and (2) conducting an investigation. There is never any time limit on conducting an investigation. People (including law enforcement officers) conduct investigations of thing, including crimes, that happened decades and centuries ago.

As far as a warrant, you didn't say whether you're concerned with a search warrant or an arrest warrant. If the statute of limitations has truly expired, then I can think of any circumstances that would allow for the issuance of an arrest warrant. A search warrant might be incrementally more likely, but the likelihood would be extremely low.

quincy

How do you know? Were you there (in his head) when it happened?
I advised Biomajorlel in a private message exchange that he should not disclose any private or confidential information on this forum. His friend should consult a New York attorney for specific advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I advised Biomajorlel in a private message exchange that he should not disclose any private or confidential information on this forum. His friend should consult a New York attorney for specific advice.
I advised those things on this thread early on.

quincy

I advised those things on this thread early on.
I know. I reiterated your advice in a private message I received.

General information was provided in this thread - and that can be helpful - but specifics should be left out.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Yes. A warrant can be issued after the statute of limitations period has passed for prosecution on the original crime. But there would need to be a legitimate reason for the warrant.
Let's make it clear here for the OP, though. The warrant application would need to support that they are seeking evidence for a crime that is still within the statute of limitations to prosecute. If the warrant application merely asserts that they are seeking a warrant to get evidence for a crime for which the SOL is expired the court will deny that application. They have to make some connection to a crime still within the SOL.

quincy

Let's make it clear here for the OP, though. The warrant application would need to support that they are seeking evidence for a crime that is still within the statute of limitations to prosecute. If the warrant application merely asserts that they are seeking a warrant to get evidence for a crime for which the SOL is expired the court will deny that application. They have to make some connection to a crime still within the SOL.
Right. Good clarification.

B

Biomajorlel

Thank you for your response it was extremely helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">