• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sourdough

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Alaska

my son was searched in july 2004 for drugs, he was not arrested but later police said they found drugs in his car. it was not until 8 months later the da decided to indict. is there a time limit in which they can decide to do this or not thanks

vicjm

First off, its important to note that I have no idea about Alaska laws specifically. I suppose it's possible that Alaska has a really, really short statute of limitations.

That said, I find it incredibly hard to imagine that the SoL is less than a year. Such a limitation would be incredibly restrictive for prosecutors, and I can't fathom something like that being made law. My guess would be that five years is probably closer to what the law in Alaska is, since I know that is the SoL in other locations.

divgradcurl

sourdough said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Alaska

my son was searched in july 2004 for drugs, he was not arrested but later police said they found drugs in his car. it was not until 8 months later the da decided to indict. is there a time limit in which they can decide to do this or not thanks
Yes there is a time limit: 5 years. Alaska Statutes 12.10.010(b)(2).

vicjm, you got the answer right by guessing, but 30 seconds on Google would have given you the answer for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">