• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Statute of Limitation"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confusednow

Is the statute of limitation on all taxes 10 years? More specifically is it ten years for an employer that did not pay some employee witholding taxes?
Can a personal bankruptcy have any effect on those taxes?
Is a Offer in Compromise a viable solution for this situation and if so how do they base the payback figure and is it something that can be done by an individual?
If so how would I get started without getting them excited and have them come after me before I can get this resolved.

L

loku

Past due employment tax

In general, taxes must be assessed within 3 years after the return is filed. If you did not file the return for the taxes, then the statute of limitations has not started to run. However, The three-year period for assessment of tax does not apply in all cases. Taxes may be assessed at any time if there is a failure to file a return or if a false return is filed with the intent to evade tax (Code Sec. 6501(c) ).

Bankruptcy does not discharge a liability for payroll taxes.

At some point in this, there may be a possibility of an offer in compromise, but not until you get this settled in general.

Since there is a possibility that the IRS will claim there was an intent to evade tax or some other infraction, I would suggest you contact a tax attorney to handle this for you. It is an extremely delicate situation, and if handled improperly can cause you a lot of trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">