• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations for car rental reimbursement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellago

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
In Oct. of 2002 my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) had her parked car completely totaled by some irresponsible idiot who was speeding and lost control of their car. I had assumed that my wife had recovered the costs she incurred for the rental car she used until she was able to replace her wrecked car. I assumed wrong.

I'm very pissed off at my wife for paying for someone elses recklessness in regards to the rental car. Is there any way we can recoup the expense from the other drivers insurance company or sue the driver for the amount? Or has the statute of limitations run out?

From what I've read there is a 1 year SOL for bodily injury (which doesn't apply in this case) and a 3 year SOL on property damage. Does the rental car cost fall into the latter category somehow?

Any accurate advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Lynx 36

You can if she hasn't already signed a release. Have your wife contact the insurance company who handled your claim. They may reimburse f/ rental.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">