• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations/ fraud and forgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willis247

What is the name of your state?
South Carolina

How long do I have to file suit against someone for fraud and forgery?

JETX

willis247 said:
What is the name of your state?
South Carolina

How long do I have to file suit against someone for fraud and forgery?
You can't. Fraud and forgery are criminal actions... not civil.

willis247

JETX said:
You can't. Fraud and forgery are criminal actions... not civil.
If I am the victim and have evidence and filed a police report, then what?
How could I get my $$$$$ back?

JETX

willis247 said:
You file a civil lawsuit. If less than $7500, file in small claims court or if above that limit, you will need a local attorney.

suchamess

same situation

willis247 said:
the police chief only today, told me that i could handle this very situation one of two ways... file w/small claims and provide documentary evidence, which is not as heavily stringent as a criminal trial requiring *burden of proof,* and i believe it's more the likelihood that it happened more than it did not, as far as taking it to civil litigation... hope i didn't confuse you! i'm in a terrible situation with my mother who convinced me to open a savings in her name (she worried over my *financial stability*!!) then, she didn't deposit all of my cashiers checks... my employer mailed my paychecks for one month to her address (no direct dep through company), and these she forged- my name and signed her own... she claimed i gave her permission (and i wonder if she will forge a note from me? and if there was permission if it would be legal anyway?)... i was out of state so i couldn't have signed my name :confused: not being at her address...

well... it's a :( mess :( for sure... i wish you luck!

best,
rachel

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">