• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

somzat13

Alabama:

I was charged with discharging a firearm within city limits around 7 years ago. Because i was on zoloft at the time They put me into mental health court. I showed up twice a month for about a year and eventually fled the state. I am wondering if there is a statute of limitations on that, and if not, What can I expect if I go back and turn myself in? Im ready to move on from that chapter of my life. Thanx -R

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Alabama:

I was charged with discharging a firearm within city limits around 7 years ago. Because i was on zoloft at the time They put me into mental health court. I showed up twice a month for about a year and eventually fled the state. I am wondering if there is a statute of limitations on that, and if not, What can I expect if I go back and turn myself in? Im ready to move on from that chapter of my life. Thanx -R
You need an attorney prior to doing anything like turning yourself in.

quincy

Alabama:

A statute of limitations would not apply if you were already charged and sentenced.

I agree with Zigner that you will want to take care of this with the help of an attorney.

zddoodah

I am wondering if there is a statute of limitations on that
There is a statute of limitations on the crime (i.e., a time limit by which the state must charge you following the commission of the crime). The statute of limitations stops (is "tolled") while you are out of the state, and it's possible that prosecution began before you were "put . . . into mental health court" (whatever exactly that means).

What can I expect if I go back and turn myself in?
The only person who can intelligently advise you about this is a criminal defense attorney in the state where the crime occurred. If you want to clear this matter up, call one.

quincy

You should check to see if there is a failure to appear (FTA) warrant issued for your arrest. The attorney you speak to can find this out for you. If you turn yourself in without an attorney in tow, you could find yourself sitting in jail for awhile.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">