• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations on a charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Linda Flores

What is the name of your state? WI
I am curious to know if there is a statute of limitations on a felony charge - Party to a crime of robbery? My sister was charged with this 20 years ago and has done her time. Does she still have to write it down on employment applications?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends on the exact question asked.

If the question is, "Have you EVER been convicted of a felony?" then she does have to list it. If the question is more on the order of, "In the last ten years, have you been convicted of a felony?" then she doesn't.

There will NEVER be a time when she can answer, No, to the first question. If the question is whether she has EVER been convicted, she is going to have to answer, Yes, to it for the rest of her life. But if the question specifies a time period and she can truthfully say that she has not been convicted of a felony within the time period asked about, she can say, No, to that.

Keep in mind that in many cases, the employer is more concerned with whether or not she tells the truth than they are with the felony itself. There are a great many employers who will hire someone with a conviction. But few if any employers will hire/continue to keep employed someone who lies on their application.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">