• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations on Embezzlement? Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gypsybum

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

About two years ago I was very poor and working at a local superstore/supermarket for $6.00/hour when the loss prevention people took me to a back room, had me searched, took all my pocket money (about $80, which was in fact all the money I had at that point), made me sign some "confession", told me they had video tape and computer proof of about $500 I'd embezzled. I was taken to the store "police office", photographed, fingerprinted, read my rights, declined to speak to the officer about what I'd been apparently "charged" with (told him I would not answer question until I had an attourney), and given a court date for arraignment. Then they let me go home.

I became homeless a week after I lost my job, had no phone and no way for anyone to contact me. Several months later I was lucky enough to get a job and get back on my feet.

I've had a couple more jobs since then, have been an honest employee, and for two years had worked on rebuilding my life from that low, low point. I'm about to move to a new state and would like to start there with a clean slate.

My questions are these:

Is there a statute of limitations on embezzlement in Michigan?

Can I be extradited from my new state by Michigan for this?

How can I find out if there were ever any charges pressed against me, or any warrants, or any convictions? I'm not about to go to the police station and ask.

I never went to court, was never formally arrested, but I know that in some cases that doesn't matter. I don't want this to ruin my life. I was poor and desperate and made some stupid choices but I've worked hard to get back on my feet and don't want it all to be for nothing. I'm aware that a felony embezzlement on my record would destroy any future I might have.

It's possible that the store didn't want to waste the money in filing and prosecuting the case against me for such a relatively small sum.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks.

pojo2

For the record

>>I was poor and desperate <<

MANY folks are poor and desperate but do not steal from others.

I have been dirt poor before but since I did not steal I ask this in ignorance does that kind of stuff show up on a background check any future employer might run?

enjay

Chances are good that since you never appeared for your arraignment there's a FTA warrant with your name on it. Depending on the type of background check run, it may or may not show up. It definitely would where I work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">