• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations & private treaty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueCat139

Hi, my case is this: I bought a dog from a breeder in Washington state a few years ago. The breeder wanted the puppy to be co-owned, and without any further investigation I accepted that. (Yes, I know, I was way too confiding then.) According to the contract the bitch in question should be bred to the male she will choose but not before she's two years old and not after she's 7 years old. She'd get a puppy for herself from the bitch's litter.

I have had the bitch at my house since she was little, I have taken care of her and paid all the costs involving to her all the time and the breeder/co-owner has not done too much more than telling me what to do and when but her own actions have prevented to breed her to the male she chose. There has been quite a lot of other problems as well during the years with the breeder and I'm really exhausted because of it.

My question is: how is the SOL counted in this kind of a case? Can she sue me more than six years from the date the contract was signed or can I breathe freely after the six years has passed?

Thank you in advance.

LdiJ

Hi, my case is this: I bought a dog from a breeder in Washington state a few years ago. The breeder wanted the puppy to be co-owned, and without any further investigation I accepted that. (Yes, I know, I was way too confiding then.) According to the contract the bitch in question should be bred to the male she will choose but not before she's two years old and not after she's 7 years old. She'd get a puppy for herself from the bitch's litter.

I have had the bitch at my house since she was little, I have taken care of her and paid all the costs involving to her all the time and the breeder/co-owner has not done too much more than telling me what to do and when but her own actions have prevented to breed her to the male she chose. There has been quite a lot of other problems as well during the years with the breeder and I'm really exhausted because of it.

My question is: how is the SOL counted in this kind of a case? Can she sue me more than six years from the date the contract was signed or can I breathe freely after the six years has passed?

Thank you in advance.
The SOL applies to a breach in the contract and it does not appear that the contract has been breached at this time. Also, you co-own the dog and that part will never go away. However, my guess is that once the dog is seven years old and past the breeding age, that you will no longer have any problem with the breeder.

BlueCat139

Well, she accuses me for several breaches but all the accusations are based on lies. Does it mean that if she wants to sue she needs to show that her accusations are true? I, on the contrary, can verify that she has breached the contract herself in at least a couple of ways. What a mess this is.

LdiJ

Well, she accuses me for several breaches but all the accusations are based on lies. Does it mean that if she wants to sue she needs to show that her accusations are true? I, on the contrary, can verify that she has breached the contract herself in at least a couple of ways. What a mess this is.
What kind of things is she alleging that you have done? What has she done that breaches the contract? Of course if someone sues someone they have to prove that their accusations are true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">