• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations question on debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eddie81

What is the name of your state? Im from Indiana and i have a debt from 2007. They are taking back to court again from a judgement from 2010 so its past the six years and ive made no payment since 2007. What are my options and can i fight this

Eddie81

What is the name of your state? Im from Indiana and i have a debt from 2007. They are taking back to court again from a judgement from 2010 so its past the six years and ive made no payment since 2007. What are my options and can i fight this

LdiJ

If they got a judgment in 2010 they were within the statute of limitations to get a judgement. Once a judgment is in place its good for 20 years. What court action are they taking now? Normally they would not need to take any additional court action once they get a judgment. They would be free to garnish your wages or levy your bank account, or put a lien on your assets.

quincy

If the creditor had a judgment awarded against you in 2010, it was good for 10 years and can be renewed for an additional 10 years.

The statute of limitations on a debt where there IS no judgment yet is 6 years. The creditor had 6 years to file suit against you where you could not use the expiration of the statute of limitations time as a defense to the suit to get it dismissed.

adjusterjack

They are taking back to court again
For what? Were you served papers? What did they say?

I'm wondering if you have been summoned to court for a debtor's examination which will require you to reveal, under oath, the nature, amounts, locations of your money and assets as well as your sources of income so that the creditor can garnish wages and levy bank accounts.

quincy

It sounds as if the creditor might be renewing the judgment and seeking financial information at the same time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">