• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pgoes

What is the name of your state? RI
I am the parent of a developmentally disabled child. For several months in 1997 he received physical therapy, which was covered by our health insurance. Last month I received a bill from the Physical therapy company for over $500. They are claiming that it is the portion not paid by my health insurance. Is there a statute of limitations determining how long after receiving a service they can bill for it? Am I liable for this bill?
Thank you.

lkc15507

pgoes said:
What is the name of your state? RI
I am the parent of a developmentally disabled child. For several months in 1997 he received physical therapy, which was covered by our health insurance. Last month I received a bill from the Physical therapy company for over $500. They are claiming that it is the portion not paid by my health insurance. Is there a statute of limitations determining how long after receiving a service they can bill for it? Am I liable for this bill?
Thank you.

pgoes: There are variables not evident in your post. But, trying to answer based on what you have provided, it is the ultimate responsibility of the insured to ensure that all claims are filed timely and appropriately according to the insurance policy. Most health insurance plans have deductibles and co-insurance amounts that are the responsibility of the insured. I would suggest you look back to see if this is the basis of the $500.00 outstanding. Unfortunately, if this is a portion not covered by insurance, you are likely responsible for the claim. I would also suggest that you closely review any statements from the provider from the applicable time period to be sure that they do not show a balance owing. This would show that the provider did not accept insurance payment as payment in full. Although it does happen that providers 'clean house' and find outstanding amounts, I suspect that there may be a trail that would indicate you owed the balance over the applicable time period. If there is not a 'trail' to indicate that you are responsible for the claim, I will defer to others who are more knowledge in the arena of how long such a provider has to file for such a claim.
lkc15507

CMSC

I am just curious if your child is school age and if so why isn't the school district providing any of the PT?

P

pgoes

He is school aged, and the school does provide PT. This was additional therapy following surgery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">