• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

staciemarie_98

What is the name of your state? Texas

I recently filed Chapter 13, and included the debt owed to the IRS. I received a letter from the IRS saying I did not file returns for 1998 & 1999. I follow the 7 year rule, and do not have copies of these returns. Will I have to refile these returns? If so, will I have to pay interest & penalties for all those years? I thought there was a 3 year statute of limitations for collection.

Snipes5

There is a three year statute of limitations on assessment against a TIMELY FILED tax return.

The statute on collections of said assessment is ten years from date of assessment.

There is no statute for an UNFILED tax return. If they say you didn't file, you will have to either file something or prove that you already did.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">