• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am the mother of a 14yr old son that I have raised alone,and did not even put the father's name on the birth cert. I am now filing for child support in Ohio (the father has been located) and wonder on the statute of limitations?
If he is required to pay support, will this include back support? does the fact that I did not attempt this until now make a difference? thanks so much.



May I ask a question? Why would you want to ask for back support? I can totally understand asking for support going forward, but don't you honestly feel that back support for 14 years is a little excessive? From what I have heard, you are indeed entitled to the back support, but it would sure be a crushing blow to the poor guy to get this slammed on him out of no where, as I'm sure you would be awfully shocked if it happened to you.

I don't mean to be offensive, and I hope you don't take my comments as such.



Senior Member
i had thought that too. especially if she would have voluntarily kept the child from him for the past 14 years. it would be a case where the father could say - how can you pay me back for missing out on the life of my child?

if the CS is only $300 a month, for 14 years you are looking at a total of 50,400 and that is not counting the interests.

but her post stated that <b> "the father has been located" </b> assuming that she hasn't been able to find him.


When my son was 7 and I thought he was emotionally capable of meeting his father, I discussed with the father that if he met w/ him just once even, in kindness and w/ respect, I would sign away any rights to support,even if he chose not to have a relationship w/ him. At the time he had just married and told me to leave him be. So I did.
Now, my son is the one who feels his father has a legal responsibility for support, so through a lawyer we contacted the father, asking only for current support, beginning at the time the child felt it important. He returned a reply that he was willing to pay a lump sum not even totally 3yrs support. So I am now going through the regular court system, and what they decide is really out of my hands. I feel right about this because I made sincere attempts, all for the emotional wellness of my child.
thanks so much for your replies.I've been told the legal obligation for setting up support lies w/ the absent parent, not the parent raising the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential