• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory Rape & SOL in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnglQstn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have a friend who is 14 and was dating somebody 12 yrs older than him online in a game. They met there and started to chat and become friends. After a while they started to share texts and phone calls of a sexual nature. His parents found out about it and gave him the option of ending all relations with this person right away or they would prosecute to fullest extent. His parents have gone so far as to keylog his computer to ensure he does as they've asked him. Now, he and this other person really want to be together, and aren't sure how. His parents told him that if he waited until he was 18 to be with this person they would still prosecute. He asked me to find out if that's true or not, and what options he would have. He is incredibly miserable and so is she, but he says he's willing to do whatever it takes to be with her. Can you help me help him?

I guess what i need to know is: what is the statute of limitations for these types of crimes in Georgia? What options does he have at this point until then?

Thank you!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They can file a complaint and the statute of limitations extends several years beyond a child's 18th birthday. This woman is a pedophile. She deserves to be prosecuted.

sambo584

the 26 yr old needs to get some counseling and a realllyyy good attorney, if any of the electronic communication was through a server that was out of state she is going to not only face state charges but also federal!!

best advice is to encourage the parents to press charges because, once a pedophile always a pedophile...this may/or may not be her first but it most likely wont be her last victim!!

Nativity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have a friend who is 14 and was dating somebody 12 yrs older than him online in a game. They met there and started to chat and become friends. After a while they started to share texts and phone calls of a sexual nature. His parents found out about it and gave him the option of ending all relations with this person right away or they would prosecute to fullest extent. His parents have gone so far as to keylog his computer to ensure he does as they've asked him. Now, he and this other person really want to be together, and aren't sure how. His parents told him that if he waited until he was 18 to be with this person they would still prosecute. He asked me to find out if that's true or not, and what options he would have. He is incredibly miserable and so is she, but he says he's willing to do whatever it takes to be with her. Can you help me help him?

Thank you!
You're assuming it's a woman...
The post states it's a "her".

SnglQstn

I know it's weird and I'm sorry. He is not an average 14 year old and she apparently has been through a lot herself. He desperately wants to be with her. Does he have any options?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. He does not.

There is nothing, repeat, NOTHING in the law that is going to force his parents to allow him to "be with" a 26 year old, NOTHING in the law that will prohibit his parents from filing a complaint with the DA and NOTHING in the law that would prevent the DA from prosecuting her. Or him.

His SOLE option is to cut off communications with her/him and pray for her sake that that is enough for his parents, because the law is 100% on his parents' side here.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I know it's weird and I'm sorry. He is not an average 14 year old and she apparently has been through a lot herself. He desperately wants to be with her. Does he have any options?
This is a serious issue and does not need a 14 year old insinuating himself into the problem and trying to "help". Stay out of it.

SnglQstn

His parents have not filed a complaint that he is aware of. They apparently let him know they knew of the relationship and that he needed to cut off all communication or they would. I guess that's a good thing at this point. Now he has done that, and they are no longer in communication and will not be until such time as they could be. Is there any hope that should they stay out of communication for the next few years or until the SOL runs out that they can be together? Just trying to find the silver lining.....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I promise you, that four years from now he'll be lucky if he remembers this woman's name, and she won't even remember him at all.

But since I know without asking that you won't believe me, simply know that the law is NOT going to EVER let him communicate with her, or her with him, as long as he is still under 18. If she so much as WHISPERS to him (or him to her) before his 18th birthday his parents can have the law on her like a shot.

And trust me, the law is going to take it VERY seriously when a 26 year old is making sexual overtures to a 14 year old. Does jail and having to register as a sex offender for life mean anything to you?

Not to mention that if she is in any state but Georgia, she can have Federal charges placed against her as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You're assuming it's a woman...
I got that information from this:
He asked me to find out if that's true or not, and what options he would have. He is incredibly miserable and so is she, but he says he's willing to do whatever it takes to be with her.
So I am assuming that "she" is a woman. Because my first grade English class many moons ago taught me that "she" was used when referring to a girl or woman. And since the she is 12 years older than a 14 year old, she is 26 and not a minor. Which technically is a woman but also a pedophile. let us hope she is not a teacher -- the news is full of such stories.

You people have no compassion!;)

Sweety, every present that he opens on his 18th birthday is wrapped within a silver lining.

If he keeps his head clean until then and saves enough to leave home promptly thereafter... perhaps his parents will forget about the woman and he can hook up with her then.

I seriously doubt she is worth the wait though. She'd consider him way too old and have moved on to another child victim by then. Hell, she might even be out of prison by then!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">