• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stck Options and Severance Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alfie9999

Stock Options and Severance Pay

I am in CA
I was laid-off due to budgetary reasons on 03/03/2006. My stock options (private co not IPO yet) do not begin to vest (25%) till 04/04/2006. I was put on what they call "salary continuance" because my contract entitles me to 45 days notice or 45 days severance payment. They gave me a single check payment in lieu of 45 days notice. They were supposed to pay me in 2 payments on 03/31/2006 and 05/19/2006 yet they gave me a 1 single payment check and called it "salary continuance"? They claim I am not an employee anymore and therefore I am not on the payroll and therefore I am not entitled to vest in my options on 04/04/2006. They blocked my unemployment insurance benefits till 04/19/2006, by telling the CA EDD that I have been paid severance till 04/19/2006 !!!. Do I have a legal claim to my options? :mad:What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Only someone who has read the documentation you received when you were granted your options can say. On the surface, your employer does not appear to have violated any laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">