• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stent left in after surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MedMiky

I live in CA and had a hystectmy in May, there were complications and had a cathater for awhile. Stent was removed in mid July. Had bladder problems, finally this month it was discovered another stent had not been removed. Everyone is telling me I should sue, even though there will be no lasting effects. I did go through a lot of anxiety wondering what the problem was. Is this a case of malpractice that might be settled out of court?

ALawyer

It sounds as if there was malpractice, and in any event it required another surgery, and that alone is a basis for damages. People do not have extra surgery for fun.

I urge you to speak with a local lawyer who does malpractice cases to determine if this warrants a claim -- the initial consulation is free. However insurance companies do NOT settle at anything like what you may expect unless you have a lawyer representing you.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

P

PamSJS

Dear MedMiky;

Unfortunately, doctors and hospitals just ain't what they used to be!!!

When you have surgery, either in a hospital or an out-patient facility, not only is the doctor/surgeon responsible for such negligence, so is the facility where the surgery was performed. What you describe is inexcuseable negligence.

Regarding damages, you state you developed bladder problems, not to mention the mental and emotional anxiety you suffered. Then, to top it off, you required additional surgery to remove the stint. As a result, you probably lost time from work, etc., etc.

Before going to an attorney, I would suggest you talk with a legal nurse consultant. We provide services such as medical records review, to determine if negligence or malpractice is a factor. Then, we write a detailed, descriptive report of our findings.
When you take this report to an attorney, he or she can determine the extent of negligence/malpractice, and what the potential outcome of such a case would be. It makes understanding your complaint much easier and provides valuable information to a potential legal professional.

You may contact me by e-mail if you are interested in this service. <[email protected]>

Best of luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">