• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step children coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kate48152

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband and I have one daughter together and he is the step father to my two daughters from a previous marriage. My ex husband does not provide health insurance for our daughters (He lives in Canada). My husband's insurance company states that they will not provide coverage for his step children unless he legally adopts them (not possible, they are still involved with their natural father), or assumes legal guardianship over them. I checked with two lawyers, and apparantly this means I would have to recind my parental rights in order for this to be accomplished. I am a stay at home mom, receiving NO child support for my older daughters (that's ANOTHER story!), and now my children are without health insurance. We appealed to the board of trustees at the ins. co., explaining our situation in full. Our appeal was denied without an explanation other than the denial being final and binding!!! Do we have any legal recourse here? Please help!!!
Kate S.

ALawyer

No.

If you were the insurance company, and I had a few step kids, why would would YOU volunteer to take on the added expense and risk of covering them? As a legal matter they are not any different from strangers living in his house, over whom he has no rights and no control.

Why should your problem in being unable to get YOUR ex to provide for their expenses become the insurance company's expense and problem?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">