• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step children wanting life ins. money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steelhrt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. My mom took care of a close friend when she found out he could not take care of himself (a widowed, elderly man) After 4 years of providing him with a room in her house, cooking cleaning ect, he later became combative and unmanageable. He needed professional care. We found him a very good assisted living facility. He stayed there for a couple of years until his step niece in a different state found out that he is living there. They attained an attorney and had him removed. He spent several years with her and later passed away. While he was with my mom, he placed her on his life insurance policy. She was contacted by the ins. co. to let her know she was to recieve a couple thousand dollars but needed to get a death certificate and to the paperwork. The niece contacted the ins. co. and they released info saying where the money went to. She is wanting this money and is pressuring mom to send it to her. The ins. co. had mom as the beneficiary. The niece recieved all the inheritance (but not life ins. money). She said that he wanted her to have the money. I don't know why the insurance wasn't changed if thats what he indeed wanted to do? They had several years to do this. Is my mom obligated by law to give her the money and what should we do? Thanks to all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. My mom took care of a close friend when she found out he could not take care of himself (a widowed, elderly man) After 4 years of providing him with a room in her house, cooking cleaning ect, he later became combative and unmanageable. He needed professional care. We found him a very good assisted living facility. He stayed there for a couple of years until his step niece in a different state found out that he is living there. They attained an attorney and had him removed. He spent several years with her and later passed away. While he was with my mom, he placed her on his life insurance policy. She was contacted by the ins. co. to let her know she was to recieve a couple thousand dollars but needed to get a death certificate and to the paperwork. The niece contacted the ins. co. and they released info saying where the money went to. She is wanting this money and is pressuring mom to send it to her. The ins. co. had mom as the beneficiary. The niece recieved all the inheritance (but not life ins. money). She said that he wanted her to have the money. I don't know why the insurance wasn't changed if thats what he indeed wanted to do? They had several years to do this. Is my mom obligated by law to give her the money and what should we do? Thanks to all.
Tell niece to pound sound. Well, even better would be to just ignore the niece.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">