• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Fathers Life Insurance - Advice PLZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sagal88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MISSOURI

My Mom and biological father divorced years ago, basically abandoning me and my brother and sister. My mom remarried my Dad (step-dad) and he adopted us legally. My biological father was a drunk and very abusive and his parents cause most of the dispute and spread rumors about my mom to cause quarrel in the family, which is why my mom divorced him. We have cut all strings and never have heard from him our whole lives (about 15 years). I just got word he just died from a stroke. The reason I am posting this is because someone had passed some information through the grape vine to me (his son) of his life insurance information in case i wanted to do anything with it. Me and my sister are thinking about going to a lawyer about this. Apparently the beneficiary is his mother who cause so much grief in our early lives, and my mothers whole life. I don't see that this is fair and would like any advice for me and my sister to do anything about it. Should we dispute this? Thank you for your time. If its a huge taking on i don't know if i want to bring all this back into our lives.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Dispute what? Disputing the beneficiary of an insurance policy is about as useful as pounding sand. :cool:

Betty

Agree with TheGeekess. Life ins. proceeds go to the beneficiary named in the policy. There is nothing to dispute. Sorry.

TinkerBelleLuvr

He's NOT your dad. Remember the guy who adopted you? HE is your dad. This is just some person out there who died and is NOT related to you.

Your surprised that he didn't leave you guys any money? That would be like the milkman suing my family cuz I didn't leave him as a beneficiary of my life insurance policy.

Betty

OP, you said you didn't think it was fair that Mother was bene - I see no
problem whatsoever with that. Even if it wasn't fair, the money would still go to Mother since she was named bene. That's the way it works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">