• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step mother income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

koolbreeze93

hello! i am from ohio and i have a question regarding family income. if i have to take my son's father back to court, then will the court take into consideration the total family income or does it just go by the father's income? he has been paying but now all of a sudden his wife is becoming a problem and every now and then she will skip making a payment. his arrears are getting up there again and she told me that her lawyer told her that they cannot touch her money. i'm not after more money i just want the payments made on time but just in case i have to do something i don't want to do, i need to know if they will touch her income.

thank you--you can reach me at [email protected]

i look forward to hearing from you!!

LegalBeagle

koolbreeze93 said:
hello! i am from ohio and i have a question regarding family income. if i have to take my son's father back to court, then will the court take into consideration the total family income or does it just go by the father's income? he has been paying but now all of a sudden his wife is becoming a problem and every now and then she will skip making a payment. his arrears are getting up there again and she told me that her lawyer told her that they cannot touch her money. i'm not after more money i just want the payments made on time but just in case i have to do something i don't want to do, i need to know if they will touch her income.

thank you--you can reach me at [email protected]

i look forward to hearing from you!!
Her income is not taken into account for the calculation of the amount... but, if he does not pay, then she will be effected. Whether that is because he loses his license, has his tax refund attached, a lien on his house or he goes to jail..

D

dorlan

What do you mean by: Every now and then 'she' will skip making a payment? 'She' is not the mother of your children, why should 'she' make any payments to you at all? I think you should talk more to your ex-husband than to her. Her lawyer is right. She is not responsible for 'your' children. If you have problems getting your child-support payments, you need to address the father of your children (or the court, who will in turn address him). Stand up for yourself, but make sure you are standing up to the right person, rather than wasting your time and energy.

K

koolbreeze93

step mother

This is in reply to the stepmother's income and about her skipping child support payments every once in a while. her husband and i were never married. we were just high school sweethearts but best friends now and i think she uses the child support against me.

anyways i talked to my son's father and he had no clue that she never made the payment. she pays the bills and that is the bottom line. he told me he would take care of it. the last time i talked to him was wed night. thurs. "somebody" went to the child support agency and made the payment so i should be getting it in a couple of days. he told me the next time i don't receive a payment just call him and tell him. i think now he is going to be on top of it more.

thank you for your advice. i do want to let you know tho that this hasn't been an ongoing problem and it never really started until he got married a yr in a half ago. he always made his payments on time and i hate to take him to court b/c his wife wants to be difficult but i don't think that will be the case anymore!

koolbreeze93

Ambr

if she is silly enough to not make the support payments and to put both of their incomes into a joint account - if they were to freeze the account for the arrears - THEN YOU WOULD BE TOUCHING HER INCOME!!!! :)

you are very lucky that you have a "freiends" relationship with your ex and can talk to him about things. most are not that fortunate.

good luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">