• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-Parent Adoption--yes another one...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksjane

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KS

I will try to make this as clear as possible, but it is a rather vague and confusing question...here goes...
What do the courts consider during a step-parent adoption? Is there anything that would prevent a step-parent from adopting? If, according to state statutes, the biological parent has legally abandoned the child and rights are found to be terminated and step-parent is willing to adopt, would there be any reason for the courts to deny step-parent to adopt? i.e. criminal history, job history, etc...things of that nature, more of a personal level I suppose.
Thanks.

tigger22472

I can't state for sure in KS... however, I know that in Indiana you must have a criminal history done as well as a home study done by the welfare department. If either come back badly I'm sure that isn't looked good upon.

haiku

if you search the Kansas state government site that will likely direct you to family court and adoption guidelines.

every state is different. As the last poster stated, her state does home studies for step parental adoptions, mine did not, 50 bucks and a notarized signature was all it took.

also, a consult with a lawyer is always a best bet for adoption, even "uncontested" ones.

tigger22472

haiku said:
if you search the Kansas state government site that will likely direct you to family court and adoption guidelines.

every state is different. As the last poster stated, her state does home studies for step parental adoptions, mine did not, 50 bucks and a notarized signature was all it took.

also, a consult with a lawyer is always a best bet for adoption, even "uncontested" ones.

Did you have to do criminal histories? In our case that I THINK it was separate from the rest although I could be wrong on that.

haiku

tigger22472 said:
Did you have to do criminal histories? In our case that I THINK it was separate from the rest although I could be wrong on that.
nope...

heres how it worked. First I visited a local family lawyer for 100 bucks. Then I went to the court clerks office and picked up two form letters for termination of parental rights. one for the bio dad and one for me-I had to terminate my rights to change my name on the birth cert to my married name.

When me and bio dad had our letters filled in and notarized, I went back to the clerks office, and filed those for 50 bucks with an intent to adopt paper filled out by me and Mr. Haiku. I do not remember the paper having much on it, and I don't remember being told or reading about a background check or investigation of any kind. (maybe they do it without informing you, but I would have assumed the lawyer would have told me that if it were so.)

I got a court date 3 weeks later. The judge looked at us, the baby, asked if the bio dad was present-he was not. Congratulated us and sent us on our way. official paper work arrived about 3 weeks after that.

PS-my state also required NO waiting period, or at least not much of one, Mr. and Mrs. Haiku had only been married 3 months when the adoption was made official in court.

tigger22472

haiku said:
heres how it worked. First I visited a local family lawyer for 100 bucks. Then I went to the court clerks office and picked up two form letters for termination of parental rights. one for the bio dad and one for me-I had to terminate my rights to change my name on the birth cert to my married name.
See right there are two things different from our case. First off I didn't have to pick up any forms, it was all done through my attorney and secondly I didn't have to terminate my rights. In fact, I jus went and looked at the new b/c and my married name is on it... hum.. interesting (hadn't thought to even look at that).

haiku said:
When me and bio dad had our letters filled in and notarized, I went back to the clerks office, and filed those for 50 bucks with an intent to adopt paper filled out by me and Mr. Haiku. I do not remember the paper having much on it, and I don't remember being told or reading about a background check or investigation of any kind. (maybe they do it without informing you, but I would have assumed the lawyer would have told me that if it were so.).
We had to actually sign papers, sent to us that we both (hubby and I) had to sign for a criminal background check. In our case bio dad was simply sent notice and told he had 30 days to file in the courts to contest. I don't think they can do a background check without your permission.

haiku said:
I got a court date 3 weeks later. The judge looked at us, the baby, asked if the bio dad was present-he was not. Congratulated us and sent us on our way. official paper work arrived about 3 weeks after that..)..
Our longest wait was waiting for the home study. We saw the lawyer in Feb. paid the lawyer (600$). Got a letter like two weeks later from the welfare department, went and paid them 150$ and waited. In the meantime it was filed in early March, bio dad was contacted with the above mentioned paper. Then we didn't even get the home study DONE until the end of April and it took her a month to get it into the courts. Once that was in we had a court date in like a month but we walked out with our paperwork. So from going to the lawyer (like Feb 4th) to the finalization (June 25th) it was about 4 months. However, if the caseworker would have been faster it wouldn't have been as long.

haiku said:
PS-my state also required NO waiting period, or at least not much of one, Mr. and Mrs. Haiku had only been married 3 months when the adoption was made official in court.
How long were you and Mr. Haiku together before that? I don't know that anyone ever SAID for sure there was a waiting period for us to be married but when we did it we had been married for just over a year but living together for 4.

Also in our state even though the letter to the bio stated he had 30 days to FILE to contest even after finalization there is technically a 1 year period he has to try to have it vacated. The law state that even after that ONE year even if notification was not of proper service he loses the right to file to vacate. Now, in our case I could possibly see that. The original letter was sent CRR and was accepted by someone I didn't know, however according to everyone the person that signed it accepted that bio would get it and that equaled to proper service. However, it makes you wonder about some of these people that purposely take off with their kids and do some pretty underhanded stuff. As like in your case, without a background check let's say it's a parental kidnapping case or who knows the possibilities.

ksjane

tigger22472 said:
I can't state for sure in KS... however, I know that in Indiana you must have a criminal history done as well as a home study done by the welfare department. If either come back badly I'm sure that isn't looked good upon.
So, although that may not look good, would it prevent the adoption? Or does it just depend?

Thanks again.

ksjane

"Our longest wait was waiting for the home study. We saw the lawyer in Feb. paid the lawyer (600$). Got a letter like two weeks later from the welfare department, went and paid them 150$ and waited. In the meantime it was filed in early March, bio dad was contacted with the above mentioned paper. Then we didn't even get the home study DONE until the end of April and it took her a month to get it into the courts. Once that was in we had a court date in like a month but we walked out with our paperwork. So from going to the lawyer (like Feb 4th) to the finalization (June 25th) it was about 4 months. However, if the caseworker would have been faster it wouldn't have been as long."

Wow, you only paid $750? The lowest I heard of around here was $1000. And that was just the lawyer fee...

tigger22472

ksjane said:
So, although that may not look good, would it prevent the adoption? Or does it just depend?

Thanks again.

It really depends. I mean if your husband is a convicted sex offender I doubt it would go through. It just really is dependant on what they look for and how bad it is.

tigger22472

ksjane said:
Wow, you only paid $750? The lowest I heard of around here was $1000. And that was just the lawyer fee...

Ours would have been more if I would have had to put an ad in the paper for the bio to answer.

haiku

tigger22472 said:
See right there are two things different from our case. First off I didn't have to pick up any forms, it was all done through my attorney and secondly I didn't have to terminate my rights. In fact, I jus went and looked at the new b/c and my married name is on it... hum.. interesting (hadn't thought to even look at that).

***Well I had to do the forms, because after the attorney consult, I was told we could do it ourselves. I was told my "termination" was simply formality, and thats how they did things in my state. I was also the one who took the adoption papers and sent them out to get the new birth certificate from the OTHER state they were in. I had to fill out a form for that and could then change my name , the bio name and even the address at time of birth if I wanted.***

We had to actually sign papers, sent to us that we both (hubby and I) had to sign for a criminal background check. In our case bio dad was simply sent notice and told he had 30 days to file in the courts to contest. I don't think they can do a background check without your permission.

***No, I don't remember that at all being on my paperwork, I don't have access to it anymore, but I did just peruse the state statutes, which were revised in 2005, and though they seem to still be very lenient in the case of step parental adoptions-everything is at courts discretion in that case, and I would say my very small town court was very lenient..-they do mention that you will be subject to a background check, IF no home study is done. As far as bio-dad goes, his termination form, clearly spells out his rights, and was only considered valid if notarized.***

Our longest wait was waiting for the home study. We saw the lawyer in Feb. paid the lawyer (600$). Got a letter like two weeks later from the welfare department, went and paid them 150$ and waited. In the meantime it was filed in early March, bio dad was contacted with the above mentioned paper. Then we didn't even get the home study DONE until the end of April and it took her a month to get it into the courts. Once that was in we had a court date in like a month but we walked out with our paperwork. So from going to the lawyer (like Feb 4th) to the finalization (June 25th) it was about 4 months. However, if the caseworker would have been faster it wouldn't have been as long.

***saw a lawyer beginning of dec. for $100. sent paperwork to bio, he sent it back by end of dec, so I could file, for $50. court date and finalization, end of january.***

How long were you and Mr. Haiku together before that? I don't know that anyone ever SAID for sure there was a waiting period for us to be married but when we did it we had been married for just over a year but living together for 4.

**together for one year prior to marriage, but the only thing the application asked for was marriage date. We had only married 3 months at that time.***

Also in our state even though the letter to the bio stated he had 30 days to FILE to contest even after finalization there is technically a 1 year period he has to try to have it vacated. The law state that even after that ONE year even if notification was not of proper service he loses the right to file to vacate. Now, in our case I could possibly see that. The original letter was sent CRR and was accepted by someone I didn't know, however according to everyone the person that signed it accepted that bio would get it and that equaled to proper service. However, it makes you wonder about some of these people that purposely take off with their kids and do some pretty underhanded stuff. As like in your case, without a background check let's say it's a parental kidnapping case or who knows the possibilities.

***well, my bio wasn't really served, he voluntarily signed relinquishment papers, so there was NO question of his contesting, because he didn't know. ***

tigger22472

Wow!! that was quick!!

As far as contesting or vacating I was just using not being served properly as an excuse... I'm sure there are many and some could even try to pull the 'duress' excuse or that they were pressure... I have probably heard them all.

Today is actually the first day that I'm going to see my ex in over 4 years. He allowed himself to be served after over 2 years of hiding less then a month after the adoption was finalized. He was still on the hook for the 25K in CS he owed and although I had told CSE to stop attempting they continued and as I said he let himself get served a month later. I don't have to go to the hearing and haven't until I go later today. I didn't want to give him any excuse to even attempt to vacate the adoption. Now it's too late.

brisgirl825

A$$ing in here....

I am glad that I read this post b/c I have never thought of asking my atty if my married name would appear on the BC. That's something I should obviously be doing.

We have paid $1,500 for our SP adoption and that includes the GAL fees.

Hopefully our court date will be soon. We're still waiting to get the papers back and then the atty will get us on the docket. We have been advised that it can take up to 6 mths to get a date.

OP, keep us advised and let us know how everything goes.
GL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">