• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helen kline

Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Florida
How do I go about having my son (8) and daugther (7) legally adopted by my husband. Thier biological father has not had anything to do with them for the past several years. I have been remarried for the past 4 years and my husband has been supporting them the whole time and would really love to have them leagally adopted. Any help or advice would be appreciated

Definity not a do it yourself project

My step father adopted me and my older sister when we were 4 and 5. I am now 26.

You have to speak to a lawyer (I am not a lawyer) about terminating the parental rights of the biological father. Do you know where the biological father lives? If not the normal method is posting messages in the newspapers legal section for a specific amount of time. You will have to post in the local newspaper of the last known address. Again the lawyer can help you with that.

I will warn you though the lawyer my parents hired told my dad not to adopt us as it would benifit us but could hurt him if my parents got a divorce. (now married for 23 years with 2 younger siblings 21 and 10). LOL :D


We completed our stepparent adoption about three years ago.
The first step is to go to an attorney and have your husband file a petition to adopt. The biological father is given an opportunity to answer the petition and everything else falls into place after that. If he agrees, and your husband is a decent person, it goes fairly smoothly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential