• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepchild adoption with bio father abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manyolives

What is the name of your state? NC

Hello,
my husband wants to adopt my daughter, his stepdaughter. Him and I are both US Citizens, my daughter is a Dual citizen (US/German) and the biological father is German and lives in Germany. He is consenting, however the form DSS-5190 requires his consent to be notarized by an NC notary (on page 3).
Or is there any other way to do this? Because he is not coming here just to notarize this form.
Would the NC court also accept the form to be notarized abroad? (Possibly with translation of the notarization)
Or would the court accept a notarized affidavit of his consent written up by his German attorney?
Thankful for anybody who has any experience with this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While I haven't been able to locate information specifically confirming this, I'd be willing to bet that the notarization form is to be used when the signature is to be notarized in NC, while signatures elsewhere would be acceptable if notarized in the locale in which they are signed.

Of course, better advice is to speak with a local adoption attorney about this, particularly since dad is not a resident of this country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">