• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

STEPCHILDREN & ABANDONMENT LAWS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MFLOWERS

MY WIFE IS FILING FOR DIVORICE USING ABANDONMENT AS GROUNDS
WANT IS ABANDONMENT AND HOW DOES THE LAWS WORK IN N.C. IN THESE CASES?
ALSO CAN SHE KEEP ME FROM SEEING MY STEPCHILDREN IF THEY WANT TO SEE ME THIER AGES ARE 15 AND 16 ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MFLOWERS said:
MY WIFE IS FILING FOR DIVORICE USING ABANDONMENT AS GROUNDS
WANT IS ABANDONMENT AND HOW DOES THE LAWS WORK IN N.C. IN THESE CASES?
ALSO CAN SHE KEEP ME FROM SEEING MY STEPCHILDREN IF THEY WANT TO SEE ME THIER AGES ARE 15 AND 16 ?

My response:

Abandonment is just that. You leave and don't come back for a protracted (lengthy) period of time.

Yes, she can keep you from seeing her children until they each are adults (18 years or older). See the United States Supreme Court case of "Troxel vs. Granville" for specifics. While "Troxel" was a Grandparent Rights case, the court decided that parents now have the FINAL say so about who their children see or don't see, grandparents or otherwise.

It used to be that if a stepparent or grandparent had a significant presence in a child's life for a prolonged period of time, such person could sue for visitation rights and get those rights to see the child. Not anymore.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">