• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather acting under diress, property transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Maine

Our (my sisters' and my) mother passed away four months ago from cancer and had named her husband, our stepfather, the beneficiary of her life insurance proceeds. In addition, she willed the house to him 100%. Four months after her death, he can no longer afford the mortgage payments on his own. (During my mother's life, her mother - my grandmother - had sent her monthly payments to help pay for the house.) A very young woman (a.k.a. 'gravedigger') has got her claws in him and convinced him to transfer the title of the house to her. She has agreed to make the monthly mortgage payments but has not paid the equity portion to him.
In essence, he is acting under diress and has transferred more than $120,000 to a woman he barely knows. My grandmother, my sisters, and our stepfather's four children from his first marriage are all appalled at the situation and trying to gather the facts.
He is also on serious pain medication and in mourning, but probably lied to the psychiatrist that his lawyer required him to see as part of the house transfer process. (He desperately wants to stay in this house with his three cats.)
What rights do we have as his children and stepchildren to get this woman out of there and out of any legal agreements? Also, after her divorce (her husband kicked her out apparently), she lived with a much older man rent-free, but had to leave that situation, too.
We want to ensure that my stepfather keeps this equity money regardless of the source - for himself or for his natural children and grandchildren. WHAT TO DO?!



Talk to an attorney about getting a guardian appointed for your stepfather. He has to be proven incompetent for the court to take away his rights to manage his own affairs. It will be an ugly battle but he could end up homeless and broke if he continues with this woman. You have no rights because the house is legally your stepfather's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential