• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather says I'm responsible for deceased mom's debt, please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkyshl

:confused: What is the name of your state? Missouri
My mother passed away in January. My mother married my stepfather two years ago. She had no will and no assets. Her husband had all the assets and her name was not on them to my knowledge. I am the beneficiary on her life insurance. Here's my first question. a) My mom's credit cards and one line of credit loan were obtained pre-martially and were in her name only. Is he responsible for them? b) He says since I'm the beneficiary of her life insurance, I'm responsible for paying them and has said the credit card company has a way of finding out who is the beneficiary of her life insurance and will come after me. Is this true? What can I do? He is very threatening. I think all in all he's upset because my mother helped me out financially over the years. I appreciate any and all advice.

Dandy Don

Is there going to be an official probate on her estate? If so, then her estate executor is going to be responsible for paying the debt. There is no way that YOU would ever be held responsible.

If there is no estate, then unfortunately the amounts will have to go unpaid and uncollected.

JETX

mkyshl said:
My mom's credit cards and one line of credit loan were obtained pre-martially and were in her name only. Is he responsible for them?
Only if he was a co-applicant, co-signer, or guarantor on the account.

He says since I'm the beneficiary of her life insurance, I'm responsible for paying them and has said the credit card company has a way of finding out who is the beneficiary of her life insurance and will come after me. Is this true?
No. The life insurance proceeds are completely separate from the estate. You do not 'inherit' the obligaiton to pay the debts simply by insurance.

What can I do?
About what?? If you mean about his demands for you to pay, tell him to stick it!

Oh, and while we are here, as expected, old 'Dandy Dunce' is completely wrong again.
This dweeb said, "her estate executor is going to be responsible for paying the debt." Of course that is NOT true.... as the executor has NO personal obligation to pay anything. The executor's 'role' is only to pay whatever claims are made from the assets of the ESTATE (if any)!!

Dandy Don

YOU'RE the dweeb, JETX. I never said the executor was personally responsible--those were YOUR delusional, extraneous comments.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
YOU'RE the dweeb, JETX. I never said the executor was personally responsible--those were YOUR delusional, extraneous comments.
Since you seem to be a little confused about your own statement, let me help you by providing it. You said, "her estate executor is going to be responsible for paying the debt".

Presumably, that isn't really what you meant.... but your statement is clear. And my response is as before.... the "estate executor" is NOT responsible for "paying the debt".

Now, lets see how you try to 'spin' your way out of this screw-up of yours. :D

wanabath

JETX said:
Since you seem to be a little confused about your own statement, let me help you by providing it. You said, "her estate executor is going to be responsible for paying the debt".

Presumably, that isn't really what you meant.... but your statement is clear. And my response is as before.... the "estate executor" is NOT responsible for "paying the debt".

Now, lets see how you try to 'spin' your way out of this screw-up of yours. :D

Dandy Don is correct. The estate executor is responsible for paying the debt. Dandy Don never said in what way he is responsible for paying it. He never said the estate executor would have to go get a second job and refinance his house to pay the debt. You are so damn smart JETX I should not have to explain to you how the estate executor would do that.

JETX

wanabath said:
Dandy Don is correct. The estate executor is responsible for paying the debt. Dandy Don never said in what way he is responsible for paying it. He never said the estate executor would have to go get a second job and refinance his house to pay the debt. You are so damn smart JETX I should not have to explain to you how the estate executor would do that.
Okay, so now we have one person who is ignorant in the law.... agreeing with another who is equally, if not more, ignorant of the law. :D
So, how about you providing ANY support for an executor being responsible for paying a debt owed by the estate?? Of course, you can't... since the executor is only responsible for making sure the debts are paid by the estate (not the executor)!!

BelizeBreeze

The ESTATE is responsible for paying the debt. The estate EXECUTOR is responsible to insure that the ESTATE meets all obligations within the ESTATE's means and requirements.

Therefor, if there is no money to pay the debts, they go unpaid. PERIOD.

Sometimes I wonder how many Americans can actually speak and write English. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">