• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather says I'm responsible for mother's cc debt, please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkyshl

:confused: What is the name of your state? Missouri
My mother passed away in January. My mother married my stepfather two years ago. She had no will and no assets. Her husband had all the assets and her name was not on them to my knowledge. I am the beneficiary on her life insurance. Here's my first question. a) My mom's credit cards and one line of credit loan were obtained pre-martially and were in her name only. Is he responsible for them? b) He says since I'm the beneficiary of her life insurance, I'm responsible for paying them and has said the credit card company has a way of finding out who is the beneficiary of her life insurance and will come after me. Is this true? What can I do? He is very threatening. I think all in all he's upset because my mother helped me out financially over the years. I appreciate any and all advice.

teflon_jones

First of all, I'm sorry to hear of your mother's passing. :(

Based on what you said, your stepfather is not responsible for the credit cards or line of credit.

If the credit cards and line of credit were only in her name, and not joint accounts with your name on them, then you have zero responsibility for those debts. Any assets she had would be applicable to paying off the debt, but you said she has no assets. The only way the creditors could go after the money disbursed from the life insurance policy is if they're listed as beneficiaries of the policy. (This is sometimes done when people don't have any other assets to secure a loan.) So, if the credit is solely in her name, you have nothing to worry about. However, this won't prevent the creditors from asking you about any life insurance policies, or attempting to recover funds from them. You don't have to tell them anything about the policies! It's none of their business.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

Q: Here's my first question. a) My mom's credit cards and one line of credit loan were obtained pre-martially and were in her name only. Is he responsible for them?

A: No.

Q: b) He says since I'm the beneficiary of her life insurance, I'm responsible for paying them and has said the credit card company has a way of finding out who is the beneficiary of her life insurance and will come after me. Is this true?

A: No.

Q: What can I do?

A: Tell him to bite rocks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">