• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather trying to maniuplate me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkyshl

What is the name of your state? Missouri (my mother lived in Alaska)
My mother passed away in January. I am her only child. My stepfather says that since I'm the beneficiary of my mom's life insurance policy, I'm the responsible party for her credit card debt and one line of credit loan, since she helped me out financially over the years. First of all, all help I received from her, she offered. Second, her credit cards and loan were all obtained pre-maritally and he was not listed on the cards. For me, I see this money as a gift, I'm in an emotionally abusive relationship and am using the money received to start a new life for myself and children. Can the credit card companies come after me? Can he sue me for the money? My mom had a checking acct in her name only and they had a joint savings account together, I have no clue how much or what was in those, yet he expects me to hand over this money to him. Other than that, my mom had no will, and had no assets in her name. My stepfather kept everything in his name only when they married two years ago.

Dandy Don

The life insurance money is yours and you do not have to give one cent to him or pay the debts. Wait for about 30 days to see if any type of probate is going to be done for her (check at the county courthouse probate court), and if there is, submit the bills to the executor.

If you want the money in her checking account, then file to be administrator of her estate--that is the only legally authorized person who will be able to claim it, or get an attorney to be administrator.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">