• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent adoption & Biological Father refusal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Freegal3

My current husband wants to adopt my son but my x husband will not sign the papers unless I waive all past and present child support payments which is around 9,000 right now. He lives in California and now the DA is all over his case to pay the child support and I truely believe my son deserves that money. But since the DA has started pursuing this case my x husband now wants to exercise his visitation rights after not seeing he son for over 18 months. He has expressed from the beginning of this pregnancy that he did not want this child and wanted nothing to do with him and now that he is being forced to pay child support he wants to exercise his vistation rights just to make me miserable and has stated that you either sign the waiver of financial responsibilty or you deal with me and this situation for the next 18 years. My son has seen him a total of 3 times before my son was 6 months old, and doesnt know this man from adam. Is this legal for me to do to sign away all of my child's support or will I be signing something that will be considered illegal in the eyes of the court? Does he have the right to ask me to do this? Me and my current husband and my son live in Colorado and my x husband lives in California.

LegalBeagle

Freegal3 said:
My current husband wants to adopt my son but my x husband will not sign the papers unless I waive all past and present child support payments which is around 9,000 right now. He lives in California and now the DA is all over his case to pay the child support and I truely believe my son deserves that money. But since the DA has started pursuing this case my x husband now wants to exercise his visitation rights after not seeing he son for over 18 months. He has expressed from the beginning of this pregnancy that he did not want this child and wanted nothing to do with him and now that he is being forced to pay child support he wants to exercise his vistation rights just to make me miserable and has stated that you either sign the waiver of financial responsibilty or you deal with me and this situation for the next 18 years. My son has seen him a total of 3 times before my son was 6 months old, and doesnt know this man from adam. Is this legal for me to do to sign away all of my child's support or will I be signing something that will be considered illegal in the eyes of the court? Does he have the right to ask me to do this? Me and my current husband and my son live in Colorado and my x husband lives in California.
You had the opportunity to get your ex out of your life for good.. but held out for the 9k ?.. You made a mistake and I suggest you get your act together quickly. Tell the ex you wave everything if he signs the adoption forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">