• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent signing school permission slip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amber/84

I signed my stepsons permission slip for a field trip, placed my check in an envelope for his mom to give to the school. She opened the envelope, saw my signature went to the school and got another permission slip and signed it saying I have no legal right to sign it?? I've signed plenty of planners for homework, papers at parent teacher conferences, all with my husband their father present. How am I in the wrong, all of these things have been on my husband's parenting time not the mothers. I've never interfered with anything on her time, only attending sports events and such for the kids when they fall on her days, so if I can be an emergency contact at the school why can't I sign a permission slip??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I signed my stepsons permission slip for a field trip, placed my check in an envelope for his mom to give to the school. She opened the envelope, saw my signature went to the school and got another permission slip and signed it saying I have no legal right to sign it?? I've signed plenty of planners for homework, papers at parent teacher conferences, all with my husband their father present. How am I in the wrong, all of these things have been on my husband's parenting time not the mothers. I've never interfered with anything on her time, only attending sports events and such for the kids when they fall on her days, so if I can be an emergency contact at the school why can't I sign a permission slip??
Unless you have an actual power of attorney from one of the legal parents, you should be signing anything for the kids. With that said, it happens all the time, and usually doesn't cause a problem. In this case, Mom felt like you were stepping on her toes. Respect that and refrain from doing this in the future.

ETA: An apology to mom would also be in order. Not an explanation, just an apology. "I'm sorry if I overstepped my place." Not "I'm sorry, but I was just..." or "I'm sorry - I thought that..." Just "I'm sorry"

adjusterjack

Have your husband give you WRITTEN authorization to do all that stuff, then you won't have to apologize for anything.

:D

Zigner

Have your husband give you WRITTEN authorization to do all that stuff, then you won't have to apologize for anything.

:D
...moving forward, sure. She still should apologize for this incident.

Once dad signs a PoA, then step-mom can just have dad deal with it.

LdiJ

...moving forward, sure. She still should apologize for this incident.

Once dad signs a PoA, then step-mom can just have dad deal with it.
In the interest of amicable co-parenting I would honestly recommend that stepmom simply leave it to her husband to sign for his children.

Zigner

In the interest of amicable co-parenting I would honestly recommend that stepmom simply leave it to her husband to sign for his children.
That is an excellent point. Hopefully, the parents (step included) can come to a mutual agreement whereby any step-parent only signs when either both parents give the nod, or it is truly something that has to be done and neither parent is actually available. (ie: Kiddo's leaving on a field trip in 30 minutes [with full permission from both parents] - he's lost his permission slip and both parents are working 2 hours away from school, etc.)

LdiJ

That is an excellent point. Hopefully, the parents (step included) can come to a mutual agreement whereby any step-parent only signs when either both parents give the nod, or it is truly something that has to be done and neither parent is actually available. (ie: Kiddo's leaving on a field trip in 30 minutes [with full permission from both parents] - he's lost his permission slip and both parents are working 2 hours away from school, etc.)
Exactly! That is the way that it should just be all of the time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Especially since "Dad is present" when SM signs these things. Unless he is physically unable to sign...).

But..... if the envelope was going to Mom's anyway, I can understand why Mom took it amiss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">