• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepson made threats on cell phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John81SUPPORTER

Vermont
My stepson was involved in an argument at school that resulted in him making a video threatening bodily harm to anyone that might decide to come to our home and harm my wife and I or my stepson. He has had issues with improper use of a cell phone in the past and was on juvenile probation for the matter though the content of that matter was not the same as the content of the matter at hand. This was two months ago and now after review the States Attorney decided to issue a citation for "Disorderly Conduct with an Electronic Device". My question is this and I may be grabbing at straws but here goes. The video was graphic to say the least and I do not condone the behavior nor does my wife but if the threats were made only as a consequence to someone coming to our home and not as a blanket statement if you will, should it matter when he appears in court? Thank you for any help regarding this matter...John

quincy

Vermont
My stepson was involved in an argument at school that resulted in him making a video threatening bodily harm to anyone that might decide to come to our home and harm my wife and I or my stepson. He has had issues with improper use of a cell phone in the past and was on juvenile probation for the matter though the content of that matter was not the same as the content of the matter at hand. This was two months ago and now after review the States Attorney decided to issue a citation for "Disorderly Conduct with an Electronic Device". My question is this and I may be grabbing at straws but here goes. The video was graphic to say the least and I do not condone the behavior nor does my wife but if the threats were made only as a consequence to someone coming to our home and not as a blanket statement if you will, should it matter when he appears in court? Thank you for any help regarding this matter...John
Your stepson needs an attorney in Vermont to guide him. Quite frankly, the disorderly conduct charge seems generous if he was on juvenile probation already.

Just Blue

Vermont
Do as Quincy advised...and also take all electronic devises away from your step-son. He has proven he can't be trusted with them. His parents should get him into therapy ASAP.

quincy

Here is a link to the disorderl conduct law under which your stepson was charged: https://law.justia.com/codes/vermont/2017/title-13/chapter-19/section-1026/

A first offense comes with the possibility of 60 days in jail and s $500 fine. You said your stepson committed a similar offense for which he is currently on probation. If he is charged as a repeat offender, he faces 120 days in jail and s $1000 fine.

With a violation of his probation, he will be returning to court for a DCF custody determination. See: https://dcf.vermont.gov/youth/justice/probation

I agree with Blue that, if counseling is not already a part of your stepson's probation, he should be seeing a counselor.

John81SUPPORTER

I appreciate the replies to my post, thank you for your input. I agree with what's been said but the problem is that he refuses to go to consoling and has gotten loud and almost violent when his devices were taken away the last time to the point he packed them all up under his arm and walked about twenty miles to his dads and I use the term loosely and was coddled for four days before returning home. He will be fine for a bit but the slides right back into something that causes more problems for everyone.

quincy

... the problem is that he refuses to go to consoling and has gotten loud and almost violent when his devices were taken away the last time to the point he packed them all up under his arm ...
Your stepson somehow has gotten it in his head that he has the power to "refuse" counseling and that he has control over his electronic devices.

The parents need to set him straight on this and, if they can't - or are unwilling to - they might find the court has taken over control of these parenting decisions.

As a stepparent, you are not in a position legally to do anything. I hope the boy's parents start working together to get him the help he obviously needs. Good luck.

Just Blue

I appreciate the replies to my post, thank you for your input. I agree with what's been said but the problem is that he refuses to go to consoling and has gotten loud and almost violent when his devices were taken away the last time to the point he packed them all up under his arm and walked about twenty miles to his dads and I use the term loosely and was coddled for four days before returning home. He will be fine for a bit but the slides right back into something that causes more problems for everyone.
I would like you to read the 1st post you wrote here. Objectively. Because you are still trying to find an "out" for your bully of a step-son. Stop it. Let him spend some time in Juvie because SS REALLY NEEDS a life lesson.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Where is this boy getting the idea that it's up to him whether he goes to counseling or he keeps his electronic devices? Why are his parents giving him that much control? Why aren't they doing their jobs and PARENTING him?

TigerD

Get an attorney. I would argue that a conditional threat isn't a threat - especially when the condition it is predicated on is an illegal act of violence. "I will kill you if you come into my home and shoot at me." << This isn't a threat unless you are in my home shooting at me.

Get a good criminal defense attorney with experience in juvenile law and find out what is going on to bring this stuff up. My $5 guess is your son is being bullied and that has been ignored.

Counseling, meeting with the school officials, and a defense attorney are necessary.

Good luck.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">