• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still Bound by Agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Texas
I had my home on the market for several months. I decided to do a refinance. I couldn't have it on the market during this process so I signed the form to take it off the market. I intended to put it back on when the refinancing was complete, but it has taken about 3 weeks longer than expected. Yesterday, my realtor showed the home anyway. The people seem very interested. I admit I don't remember the exact wording or have it here with me, but I do remember a part in the contract about covering the realtor for 90 days after the contract expired. What I can't remember is: would this apply to any new prospects after I took it off the market or would this just cover the realtor for anyone they showed the house to before the contract expired to keep someone from seeing it, wanting it, and going in right after it expired? Thanks for any responses!

LindaP777

If you agreed to allow the realtor to show the house yesterday, you can't bet your boots they didn't show it out of the kindness of their heart, they expect their commission if they bring the buyer to you. I would imagine if you recieve a written offer, they will also ask you to sign something saying you agree to the agents term & commission.

I didn't agree to let them show it. I wouldn't have known, but the wife brought her husband back around 4:30 when I was home to see if her husband could see it. The realtor didn't leave her card or anything like they usually do. She did call last night around 9:30 p.m. telling me about it. I'm still wondering what you think about the part that said 90 days and if you think it only applied to old "lookers". Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

hereintexas said:
What is the name of your state?Texas
I had my home on the market for several months. I decided to do a refinance. I couldn't have it on the market during this process so I signed the form to take it off the market. I intended to put it back on when the refinancing was complete, but it has taken about 3 weeks longer than expected. Yesterday, my realtor showed the home anyway. The people seem very interested. I admit I don't remember the exact wording or have it here with me, but I do remember a part in the contract about covering the realtor for 90 days after the contract expired. What I can't remember is: would this apply to any new prospects after I took it off the market or would this just cover the realtor for anyone they showed the house to before the contract expired to keep someone from seeing it, wanting it, and going in right after it expired? Thanks for any responses!
If the contract says 90 days then you are and were still bound to the contract, whether or not it was 'on the market'.

The only way you would NOT have been bound by the contract would be if there was specific language to the effect that by taking the home 'off the market' or delisting it, the contract was voided.

And I doubt that seriously exists in your contract.

Thanks for the help. I know you're right about that. Maybe the people won't make up their minds until after the 90 days. That would save me about $17,000!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">