• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still getting billed 6 months after legal matter closed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr.?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Received an invoice for almost $500 6 months after my lawyer got me out of a legal matter. I payed the other party and my lawyer. Both parties signed the release of liability. I thought the matter was closed, but now this. No itemized list of services ,I did ask for them but haven't received it yet.
Question- How do I put an end to this? I think the other party keeps calling my lawyer for information and talking up a storm on my wallet.
Do I need to fire my lawyer or is there another way to do this so I can still keep my lawyer but put cap on this matter so it doesn't cost me one more dime.
Thanks,

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Received an invoice for almost $500 6 months after my lawyer got me out of a legal matter. I payed the other party and my lawyer. Both parties signed the release of liability. I thought the matter was closed, but now this. No itemized list of services ,I did ask for them but haven't received it yet.
Question- How do I put an end to this? I think the other party keeps calling my lawyer for information and talking up a storm on my wallet.
Do I need to fire my lawyer or is there another way to do this so I can still keep my lawyer but put cap on this matter so it doesn't cost me one more dime.
Thanks,
You can demand of your attorney an itemized bill and, yes, you can tell your attorney that you no longer need or want his services. It is best to make your wishes known in a formal letter (through the USPS) rather than making a phone call or sending an email or text.

Good luck.

mr.?

You can demand of your attorney an itemized bill and, yes, you can tell your attorney that you no longer need or want his services. It is best to make your wishes known in a formal letter (through the USPS) rather than making a phone call or sending an email or text.

Good luck.
Why a formal letter? Would I need him to sign it to make it legitimate?

quincy

Why a formal letter? Would I need him to sign it to make it legitimate?
Sending a certified letter, return receipt requested, gives you evidence that the letter was received by the attorney, should proof later be needed. Formal letters are the preferred and professional way to communicate.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Have you asked your attorney about it? It's always possible that it's a clerical error.

quincy

Have you asked your attorney about it? It's always possible that it's a clerical error.
The first step anyone should take when they have a problem with their attorney is to speak directly to the attorney. Many times, that is all that is needed to resolve an issue. :)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Question- How do I put an end to this?
End to what? You received a single bill for what probably amounts to an hour or two worth of work, max. You make it sound like you keep receiving bills every month.

I think the other party keeps calling my lawyer for information and talking up a storm on my wallet.
You THINK? If you have yet to speak to your attorney how do you know what's going on?? If the other party has questions there would be no reason for them to call your attorney or for your attorney to speak with this person. This person should be speaking with their own attorney. Of course, I don't think you have any idea about what's happening behind the scenes.

As you have been told, you should speak to your attorney directly to get the truth. Stop speculating.

quincy

It makes sense that the attorney would know what is going on with the billing better than an Internet forum ... but for some reason many people seem reluctant to question their attorney. Perhaps they think that contacting their attorney will generate another bill. :)

mr.?

All good points. Still haven't heard from my attorney by e-mail. I'll call tomorrow and find out what's happening. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">