• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stimulus check cut in half, even for my kid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedWhiteBlue

So as stated before you got the kid's $300 and for your you got $450.
Hm, why would you say that again if I told you that I got a letter that they originally confiscated $1500, then gave me $750 after filing an Injured Spouse form.

So $1500 = $600 + $600 + $300.
$450 doesn't factor in anywhere.

tranquility

I am uncertain as to why this thread continues. The legislation giving the stimulus was fairly short and did not go into much detail. There are still many regulations which need to be promligated in order to see how the IRS will administer the payment. Until then, there is NOTHING anyone can do to change what the IRS decides. Let's face it, the cost of court far exceeds the value of the payment.

Once again, bend over and grab your ankles, the government is here to help. The OP should be on her knees thanking God she got anything back through an innocent spouse claim.

RedWhiteBlue

All $1500 could have gone towards your debt. Instead, your debt is lower by $750.00.
"Your debt"? I think you missed the part about entire income being made by the clean spouse. Returned portion was not due to luck but due to the fact that money cannot be confiscated from the spouse that did not have student loans, period.

The portion related to the child is a gray area... and that's what I was asking about since same procedure should apply regardless of the filing status which could have not listed the spouse that did have student loans. Yeah sure the deduction would have been lower but that's irrelevant to the question.

RedWhiteBlue

Just got off the phone with the IRS:

• Married filing Jointly: $600 + $600 + $300 for child = $1500 / 2 for injured spouse = $750

• Married filing Separately: $600 + $300 for child = $900

So stimulus was and is affected by the filing status.

LdiJ

Just got off the phone with the IRS:

• Married filing Jointly: $600 + $600 + $300 for child = $1500 / 2 for injured spouse = $750

• Married filing Separately: $600 + $300 for child = $900

So stimulus was and is affected by the filing status.
However, if you had filed separately, you would have paid far more extra in tax than the measly 150.00 you lost on the stimulous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">