• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stimulus check deposited into bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Arizona

My uncle is getting $2400 for him and his wife from the stimulus package. They just got a default judgment against them on Mar 9 but not sure it's gone beyond that (not sure if you even get notification that your bank account is being seized).

His SSI is the only thing deposited into this account. His wife has her own account for her SSI. He gets $1500 per month from SSI. From the article below it says his account will be fine if he gets the $2400 via direct deposit (current balance is $145). It this accurate? Also, would he have gotten a notice if his creditors tried to seize his bank accounts?

Here's the article:

Special Strategy for At-Risk Social Security, SSI, and VA Beneficiaries
A special strategy for those at risk of garnishment is available for recipients of Social Security, SSI, Veterans, or certain other federal benefits. A U.S. Treasury rule exempts from garnishment an amount in a bank account or Direct Express card equal to two months of federal benefit payments for that individual. See 31 C.F.R. § 212; NCLC’s Collection Actions § 14.5.4.

The protected amount in a consumer's account need not be traced to the federal benefits—that dollar amount is protected no matter its source. If two months of federal benefits for a Social Security recipient is $2000, the account will be fully protected from garnishment if there is only $800 in the bank account before the stimulus payment is deposited. Once the $1200 is deposited, the total amount will still be less than $2000. Before the next Social Security or other benefit payment is deposited, however, the recipient will need to withdraw additional amounts to keep the new balance under $2000. Fortunately, benefit payments come on a predictable date each month, such as the second Wednesday of the month.

Last edited:

zddoodah

The information that I and others provided at the other site where you asked this exact same thing is accurate.

To be honest nobody actually answered this question. It got put into a thread about something else. Closest answer was a pasted link with someone saying the article might not be totally accurate.

This is the main part of the question I was asking.

A U.S. Treasury rule exempts from garnishment an amount in a bank account or Direct Express card equal to two months of federal benefit payments for that individual. See 31 C.F.R. § 212; NCLC’s Collection Actions § 14.5.4.

I doubt anyone disputes that but is this part also accurate which would allow him to deposit the stimulus there electronically so he can get it back quicker rather than via check?

The protected amount in a consumer's account need not be traced to the federal benefits—that dollar amount is protected no matter its source.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

A U.S. Treasury rule exempts from garnishment an amount in a bank account or Direct Express card equal to two months of federal benefit payments for that individual. See 31 C.F.R. § 212; NCLC’s Collection Actions § 14.5.4.

I doubt anyone disputes that but is this part also accurate which would allow him to deposit the stimulus there electronically so he can get it back quicker rather than via check?

The protected amount in a consumer's account need not be traced to the federal benefits—that dollar amount is protected no matter its source.
The accuracy of that in all situations is exactly what I dispute. You should check the LAW, as I posted it in your other thread.

quincy

Has your uncle called the court where the judgment was entered to see if all debt collection activities have been suspended? Has your uncle called his bank?

Has anyone filing a joint return received their stimulus payment yet? I’m curious if they send two 1200 payments (one to each spouse) or if they send it in one 2400 payment made out to both spouses. My aunt and uncle don’t have a joint account anymore but I’m more curious if they split the payment up for each spouse as they need to fill out the banking information on the irs website to get it electronically.

LdiJ

Has anyone filing a joint return received their stimulus payment yet? I’m curious if they send two 1200 payments (one to each spouse) or if they send it in one 2400 payment made out to both spouses. My aunt and uncle don’t have a joint account anymore but I’m more curious if they split the payment up for each spouse as they need to fill out the banking information on the irs website to get it electronically.
If they file a joint return, it will be one payment of 2400.00. If they want it sent electronically then they need to use the "Get My Payment" portal to provide direct deposit information.

bcr229

I file jointly with my husband. We received one payment to my bank account as that was the one used to pay our 2018 taxes; we hadn't filed 2019 yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">