• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stimulus checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I believe the IRS and Treasury is taking that stance because, as a starting point, IRS Chief Counsel's Office has likely advised it that the CARES act itself provided no way for government to collect those improperly issued EIPs. That is the conclusion I too reached upon reading the Act. Thus, Chief Counsel would then have told the Commissioner and Treasury that without any authority in the Act to easily collect those wrongfully issued refunds there is only one possible avenue left in the Code to recover them: the erroneous refund procedure of IRC § 7405. It is a procedure that is not often used for two reasons. First, truly erroneous refunds are not terribly common. I encountered just two such situations in my entire entire career at IRS, at least that I can recall.

That then leads to two issues for the government. The first is cost and administrative burden. In order for the IRS to recover an erroneous refund, it must sue the person who received it in federal district court. It does not have the option to use the administrative collection procedures that the IRS may use for delinquent tax. Because the suit must be done in federal district court, the Department of Justice (DOJ), Tax Division would actually have to do the litigation, not IRS Chief Counsel. The cost to the government to pursue that would exceed the $500 (in the case of an erroneous dependent EIP) that it is trying to recover. Moreover, the government must initiate that action within 2 years of the date the erroneous refund was made. Because these payments were made 9+ months before the 2020 returns are even due, that leaves the IRS in the position of having to process returns, match them, determine that an erroneous refund was made, and then coordinate with DOJ to file the lawsuit all within the space of about a year or less. That's a lot work and expense to recover $1,200 or $500.

The second issue is one of policy. Would doing this be in the best interest of the government and the public? I think the conclusion would be no. The government is not going to want to take on that burden for these small payments and will be reluctant to flood the district courts with these small claims when the courts are already overburdened with cases. Particularly when the error that cause the refund in the first place was made by the government itself, not the taxpayer. And DOJ itself may not have the resources to spend on that given all the other litigation it has on its plate already.

Moreover, doing that would not be a good look for the government. The purpose of these payments was not some tax policy objective. The purpose was to stimulate the economy, and the use of tax refunds to do it was simply a fast and easy way to get the payments out to the public. I think the Treasury would be of the view that it is fine with letting those erroneous payments go uncollected. That's just more money to help stimulate the economy and would avoid the howls of those taxpayers who got those checks in tough times, spent the money for rent, food, or whatever, and would then be called upon to repay it to the government later when they might not even have the money to do it.
I understand everything that you are saying. However, I draw a parallel with Obamacare subsidies. They are also advance tax credits and the government vigorously pursues any excess advance tax credit given in those circumstances.

Don't get me wrong TM, I think that under the circumstances you are right, particularly with the new language. However, I am not going to believe it 100%, without reservation, until the forms and instructions are printed and I can verify it myself...filling out the forms and doing the math.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I understand everything that you are saying. However, I draw a parallel with Obamacare subsidies. They are also advance tax credits and the government vigorously pursues any excess advance tax credit given in those circumstances.
The difference with the Obamacare advance credits (the premium tax credits) is that Congress did provide a way to collect those without going to court. IRC § 36B is the section that provides for the premium tax credit. IRC § 36B(f)(2) tells you what happens when the advance credit given exceeds the actual credit allowed: the taxpayer's tax is increased by the amount of the excess credit given. Congress failed to provide something like that in the CARES Act. And that failure is huge in terms of the options the government has.

Don't get me wrong TM, I think that under the circumstances you are right, particularly with the new language. However, I am not going to believe it 100%, without reservation, until the forms and instructions are printed and I can verify it myself...filling out the forms and doing the math.
Fair enough, though I doubt the IRS will change course on this unless, perhaps, Biden wins in November and decides he really wants to go after parents who got the erroneous EIPs and is willing to see the flood of court cases needed to do it. Somehow, I don't see Biden doing that.

LdiJ

The difference with the Obamacare advance credits (the premium tax credits) is that Congress did provide a way to collect those without going to court. IRC § 36B is the section that provides for the premium tax credit. IRC § 36B(f)(2) tells you what happens when the advance credit given exceeds the actual credit allowed: the taxpayer's tax is increased by the amount of the excess credit given. Congress failed to provide something like that in the CARES Act. And that failure is huge in terms of the options the government has.

Fair enough, though I doubt the IRS will change course on this unless, perhaps, Biden wins in November and decides he really wants to go after parents who got the erroneous EIPs and is willing to see the flood of court cases needed to do it. Somehow, I don't see Biden doing that.
I don't see him doing that either. Again, I think that it's probably going to go in the taxpayer's favor, just as the info provided says so. I just won't feel 100% certain about it until the forms and instructions are available and I can do the math.

livinmybestlife

Hi I am sorry, I didn't see that there were so many other responses. I want to answer some of the questions posed. I would be eligible for the EIP if 2020 information was used. We have one mutual child, that he was able to get the credit for since we both had turned in our 2019 tax returns. Our child is with me 75% of the time, every year, but due to our divorce settlement, we alternate the years that we claim her. I know there are a few things that only I can get because I have her more than 50% of the time. HOH, Child Care Credit and EIC (I don't qualify for EIC), but I definitely fall within the guidelines to have been able to obtain the EIP had it been based on my year to claim her rather than his in 2019..

Based on what I have read here... Unless I misunderstood... It seems like I will be able to take a credit even though he already received it, and that he likely won't have to pay his portion back? If that's the case, it isn't worth me potentially starting a fight by even asking him to compromise. I don't want to benefit more than he does, and had even offered to split it with him back before either of us knew who was going to get it since we both provide for her financially. He obviously didn't feel the need to reciprocate, but I do think it should be fair between both of us since we both provide for her financially, and if I didn't get the credit, it would be worth the question even if he is unlikely to feel inclined to compromise.

I want to thank you all for your time in answering these questions. Please let me know if you need other information, or if my summary of the information is incorrect. Thank you again

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Based on what I have read here... Unless I misunderstood... It seems like I will be able to take a credit even though he already received it, and that he likely won't have to pay his portion back?
That's correct; that's what the IRS states that I quoted from its EIP FAQ page. So I agree that the EIP issue doesn't seem to be something worth fighting over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">