• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock and Offer Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strol

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have an offer letter signed by my employer that states that I will be given stock options as part of my compensation. It contains:

You will be eligible to receive X shares of stock where (x/3) shares will be available per year over 3 years. You will acrue these shares on a monthly basis retroactive to <start date - 6 months>.

After doing the math, this came out to roughly 11% of the company.

8 months after taking the job, I am told there was a "math" mistake on my offer letter and it should have been 1%.

I understand this is a touchy subject to ask on a forum, but I need to know how firm my legal footing is before I even entertain negotiations on this. I am guessing I'll be told to consult a local attourney, but figured this was worth a shot.

BelizeBreeze

You are correct......

Consult a local attorney who can read the entire offer and determine if it meets the legal requirements of a contract. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">