• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock Options After Leaving the Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uberjer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm looking to recover an approximate $14,000 loss from unexercised stock options.

This is what happened...

While at a 5000 person corporation (Company A), I accumulated several stock option grants which were held with Smith Barney. The 5000 person corporation was acquired by a 50k person corporation (Company B) in Sept '05.

I stayed with Company B until Nov '06. When I left Company B, I didn't have an exit interview or receive anything in the mail regarding my departure. I thought that was unusual.

I continued to track my stock option grants in my Smith Barney account since I left. In the Smith Barney account, it says that my earliest expiration date for exercising my stock options is 5/1/09. It still says this today and all my stock options are still listed in my Smith Barney account.

I recently attempted to exercise my stock options with Smith Barney and was unable to. I called Smith Barney today and they said that the account was restricted that and I needed to call Company B to find out what happened.

I called Company B today and discovered that the stock options were moved to E-Trade during the acquisition back at the end of '05. They also said that they normally mail out a closing statement which provides 3 months to exercise after ending employment with the company.

I have no recollection of being informed of the transfer to ETrade or of having received a letter after leaving the company. I have been monitoring the stock options in my Smith Barney account since I was with Company A and, even today, all my stock options are listed there with the current market price and current market value.

Company B says they will not reinstate my stock options so I can exercise.

The market price today is roughly equivalent to the market price during the 3 month window I had to exercise back in Nov '06. The net proceeds would be approximately $14000.

Is there anything I can do to recover?

Any advice will be very appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeremy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">