• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stock options lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkays25

What is the name of your state? Ohio

In October I was laid off from a very large international finance company. I had been with the company for three years, I received a months notice and a very nice sevrence package since this was a mass layoff and had nothing to do with my performance. While employed there I joined a sharesave stock option plan in which I had a certin amount taken out of each check to go into a savings account for three years. At the end of the term I would have the option to buy the stock at a disconted price that was set at the begining.

Over a month after I left the company I received a letter with my different options, I could get a lump sum refund, apply my balace to exercise my shares, or remit a lump sum of $156 and apply it to my balance and exercise my shares. According to the letter I had until 4/30/08 to exercise my options, but would need to have the paperwork and check in by 4/15/08. Due to tight finances I had to wait until I got my tax refund to be able to send in the check. I sent it in along with the paperwork on 3/18. On 04/07 I called the company to see why my check hadn't been cashed and if they recieved it. According to them my option was up on 03/01 and since I was too late my check had been mailed back and I would just receive the lump sum and no stock options. I reread my letter to them that said I had until 04/30, they told me that after they sent that letter the IRS changed the policy and it had to be done by 03/01. They said they made a mistake and forgot to inform me of the change but since this is the IRS there is nothing they can do about it.

I just want to know if leaglly I have any rights. Can they leaglly forget to inform me and rob me of the $6500 that my stock would be worth right now? I know that's not a lot of money, but it could have really helped me out of a hard time.What is the name of your state?

Beth3

They're probably not accountable for a clerical error and certainly not accountable if the IRS dictated that they make changes in the Plan. If you want a definitive answer, you'll have to talk to a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">