• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

movie_star40

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was wondering what it is that can happen to my 17 year old son who was caught in a stolen car (not the driver) he is now in a detention facility waiting hearing tomorrow never been in trouble before and was not the one who stole the car. Wouldn't that be more like an accessory or something when they were caught neither one of them were in the vehicle so I don't know what to tell you. I just need to know what to do I can't really afford an attorney and I think that him being in there is the best thing, but I just don't have a clue of what to do. I would never try to "get him off" completely, but I want to be able to provide assistance of some kind.

Last edited:

CdwJava

If he knew about the theft and was present when it was stolen, he will likely be charged as a principle (i.e. charged as if he actually stole the car).

Yes, he needs an attorney.

- Carl

movie_star40

He wasn't there when it was stolen .. the other boy had the car for a couple of days I guess and he picked him up at school. I am sure that he knew it was though. He is coming home today with a monitor and I found out that I would need to get an attorney. The other boy was not able to come home, he has been in and out of the facility quite a bit from what I understand. Thanks for the input.

What exactly are they charging him with? Did he try to flee the scene? Did he admit to any prevoius knowledge that the car was stolen?
Does you son have a record? How is his attendence in school?
Do you know if they are charging him as a juvinile or an adult?
Do you know what the other boy is being charged with? How old is he?

Yes, you should talk to a lawyer.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He wasn't there when it was stolen .. the other boy had the car for a couple of days I guess and he picked him up at school. I am sure that he knew it was though. He is coming home today with a monitor and I found out that I would need to get an attorney. The other boy was not able to come home, he has been in and out of the facility quite a bit from what I understand. Thanks for the input.
YOU do not need an attorney. YOUR CHILD needs the attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">