• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluebutterfly6

What is the name of your state?I am in New York State. My problem is that I own a pizzeria and someone took two of the checks from my business,signed my name and tried to cash them. Well the checks both bounced and now the store owner wants me to pay the money back of course. Well I know who took the checks and forged them and they are in the process of paying me for them however... i am told that i have only 30 days to press charges for the stolen checks ( in case i am not fully paid back) and i was just wondering if this is true. Do you only have 30 days to press charges on someone for stolen checks?
[email protected]

zippysgoddess

I must admit to being a little confused here, you say you are the owner, but yet the owner wants you to pay back the checks???

Happy Trails

bluebutterfly6 said:
What is the name of your state?I am in New York State. My problem is that I own a pizzeria and someone took two of the checks from my business,signed my name and tried to cash them. Well the checks both bounced and now the store owner wants me to pay the money back of course. Well I know who took the checks and forged them and they are in the process of paying me for them however... i am told that i have only 30 days to press charges for the stolen checks ( in case i am not fully paid back) and i was just wondering if this is true. Do you only have 30 days to press charges on someone for stolen checks?
[email protected]
What's there to pay back if the checks bounced?

HomeGuru

Happy Trails said:
What's there to pay back if the checks bounced?

**A: the thief bought the merchandise from the store and paid with the checks, that later bounced. This thread is very confusing.

Happy Trails

bluebutterfly6 said:
[email protected]
Seriously it should be reported as soon as it was discovered. Someone stole your checks, forged your name, bought something with them and you don't want to press charges. If this is what happened you should report it; what they did was a crime.

The store just wants to get their money for the merchandise. It sounds to me they aren't buying your story and want you to step up to the plate and do what most people would do if they were robbed. Why should they wait for you to collect payments from the thief?

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/consumer/tips/id_theft_victim.html

http://epay.netfirms.com/badchecklaws.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">