• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen life insuance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chels89

What is the name of your state? Maine.

I posted a little while back about this, & then I found out some stuff about the insurance policy. When I was 14 my father passed away & had a life insurance policy for $25,000. I was the sole beneficiary on it, & my mother went to Probate Court to have it placed in a CD account for me until I was 18, when I could withdraw the money. I turn 18 in two weeks & she refuses to tell me any information about the money besides "it will be in your hand when you turn 18."

Well, I went to the Probate Court & got copies of all the documents & files pertaining to the life insurance. I found out that it was being held in a bank account, I got the account information & everything, & I also found out that she was supposed to be giving me documentation of what interest had gained on the account & what she was doing with the interest. Also, I found out that the money was not allowed legally to be touched or moved (besides interest) without a court order.

My fiancee & I wanted to double check the money was in the account, & when we went to the bank they informed us that the bank account had been closed out. The courts had no record of this. I called my mother & she refused to tell me where she moved the money.

Somebody at the Probate Court told me that I need to write her a certified letter or notorized letter saying that she needs to give me all the information about the money in __ days, or I will take legal action, but obviously he couldn't give me any other advice legally. We are going to talk to a lawyer asap.

My question is, can I get her for theft charges? Her name was nowhere on the life insurance policy, she was only named conservator to decide where the money goes & stuff like that, nothing to do with taking the money. & Also, someone told me that in Maine when things like this happen courts look at it as a gray area, like some judges would feel she had no right to take it & some feel it was okay. Does anyone know about this?

Thank you so much for your help!

Dandy Don

You won't know what you can charge her with until you get more information about what actually happened with the money.

She could have rolled it over into another CD or invested it in the stock market or in bonds. However, the fact that she won't give out any information about where it is now is very strange and makes it look like she may have something to hide. Your attorney can ask her on your behalf and perhaps he will be more successful in getting information and HE can send her the certified letter. He needs to be tactful and polite in his request and not being accusatory.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Betty

I agree with Dandy Don - let your attorney handle this & see what she/he can find out & go from there.

chels89

We found out today that she never deposited the money in that account like she told the court that she did. I also called the life insurance company & requested a copy of the insurance check because the bank told me that the check will say where it went & everything.

I haven't spoken to a lawyer yet but left a voicemail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">